The practice of Yoga has helped many human beings since 3000 BCE. This ancient technique has helped millions of people in difficult times as well.
Because of its unlimited benefits, today yoga is practiced all across the world. Many people are joining on daily basis and are getting benefits for themselves.
With the passage of time as Yoga evolved its techniques increased. Though it is not known who exactly first practiced it but the roots of Yoga can be found in Hinduism and Buddhism.
There are many advantages that a person can gain from the practice of yoga. And it can be performed for hundreds of things. But our main focus here is ‘how to use Yoga to lose weight?’.
What if I tell you that you can lose a significant amount of weight just by the moment of your hands? This technique is called “Mudra” in yoga. Here is what you should know and what you should do.
Also Read: Best Yoga Poses for Good Posture
Mudra for weight lose
Mudra is simply a set of hand gestures. That has to be performed with some little bit of instructions. It is a very easy exercise.
If you are tired of taking care of every bit of what you eat. Or you don’t want to exhaust yourself in the gym till you can’t even walk. This is what you should do.
Mudra is not only easy but very efficient for losing weight. It is a priceless gift for people who can’t exercise because of some physical issues or who can’t follow a diet plan because of some health-related issues.
How Mudra helps in losing weight?
You might ask that ‘how can Mudra be so efficient when it does not include anybody exercise?’ Well, the answer to this question is, Mudra is indeed a very efficient way of losing weight.
Because it produces internal heat in the body this heat travels in your body and burns all the fat. The main target of this heat is fat around your belly. Which results in a flat stomach.
Elements of Mudra Yoga
Before starting Mudra techniques there is some important information, I would like to share with you. Which will help you in performing Mudra better.
Yogis (Yoga teachers) define the five elements of Yoga. This means that Yoga has five elements, namely Agni (fire), Akash (Space/Sky), Jai (water), Vayu (Air), and Prithvi (Earth).
Are sounds familiar with ancient Greek philosophy, doesn’t it? Exactly, Yoga is an ancient practice.
Also Read: Ian McNeice Weight Loss
7 Effective Mudra Techniques
Here are the 7 Mudra techniques that are extremely effective and will result in a very healthy body. The way of performing techniques is defined in detail you can easily perform them at home.
1. Vayaan Mudra
Vayaan Mudra is closely connected with the air element. This Mudra helps you in focusing on your inner self.
Vayaan Mudra helps in improving the nervous system. This technique helps you in focusing only and solely on your consciousness.
It makes you more self-aware. When your mind is clear then your brain only focuses on air.
This in turn brings your attention to your body and the body finds it easy to produce heat. Which burns the fat. Despite the weight loss, Vayaan Mudra is also a way of meditation.
Steps of performing Vayaan Mudra
- Sit in an empty room with relaxed body posture.
- Connect your index and middle fingers with the tip of your thumb. While raise both other fingers toward the sky.
- Close your eyes and keep your back straight.
- Exert pressure while reaching the levels of comfort.
- Hold this position for 20 minutes daily. And this will result in healthy body.
2. Surya Mudra
This mudra is connected with the fire (Agni) element. Surya literally means “sun” in Sanskrit. This mudra helps you in collecting energy in your body and then helping you in digesting food perfectly.
Most of the time the ineffective digestive system contributes a lot to weight gain. This practice boosts the metabolism in your body and increases the efficiency of your digestive system.
The morning time is perfect to perform Surya Mudra. This mudra is super easy to perform as it only includes a finger and thumb of your hands.
Steps to perform Surya Mudra
- Sit on yoga mat with your back straight.
- Connect the tip of your ring finger with your thumb.
- Hold this position in a way that your palms are facing upward while resting on your knees.
- Hold this position for 45 minutes daily. If you find the time too lengthy you can do it with the intervals of 15 minutes.
3. Gyan Mudra
The main function of Gyan mudra is to allow your body to rest. This mudra helps you in achieving better sleep.
It does so by cleaning your mind. Lack of sleep/rest is one of the main reasons for gaining weight. When your body achieves the sleep required per day it then functions at full capacity.
Gyan means “Knowledge” in Sanskrit. It helps you in gaining knowledge of your existence, of your body. When you have achieved good sleep your body then boosts the levels of metabolism.
Steps to perform Gyan Mudra
- Sit straight with legs crossed.
- Bring your index finger and thumb together. While keep the other fingers erect.
- Close your eyes for better concentration and for peace of your soul.
- Hold both hands on your knees while palms facing upward
4. Linga Mudra
Although, in Hinduism the whole practice of Yoga is attributed to Gods, saying that Gods practiced Yoga themselves, however, Linga Mudra has a special place.
It is known as Lord Shiva’s mudra. They believe that Shiva himself practiced Linga mudra and was one of his favorites. But not only mythology, but Linga mudra is also effective in the real world as well.
When you perform this mudra, your whole body will become active. This practice helps your body in eliminating a substance “Ama” that causes fat in the body.
The gesture of this mudra means the victory of positivity over negativity. It also helps you in the fast recovery of any organ that is not working effectively.
Steps to perform Linga Mudra
- Sit on a soft mat. Don’t sit on floor as a cold floor might disturb the flow of energy.
- Don’t open your eyes while doing it as it may disturb your meditation.
- Interlock the fingers of both hands with the palms pressed against each other. Put as much pressure as you can tolerate on your heads as it will make the practice more effective.
- Do this exercise 25 minutes daily.
5. Prana Mudra
Prana Mudra is like a magic. It gives life to the body. In Sanskrit, Prana Mudra means the mudra of life.
The practice of Prana Mudra releases energy in the whole body, which makes sure that every organ of the body is working efficiently.
This energy makes you active for your whole day of work. Prana Mudra helps you in eliminating laziness from your body. It also increases the flow of breathing.
Steps to perform Prana Mudra
- Sit in a room where is no noise.
- Close your eyes and take deep breathes.
- Raise index and middle finger in the way of victory. Combine the tips of the rest of the fingers with thumb.
- Do this with both hands one by one.
- Stay in this position for 25 minutes daily.
6. Kapha-Nashak Mudra
There are several elements in the body of a human. Two of them are Kapha and Pitta. The Kapha element is the symbol of the earth while pitta represents fire.
The main aim of Kapha-Nashak Mudra is to hold equilibrium in the body. The element Kapha which means earth shows the weight in the body.
While fire is for the soul. This practice gives satisfaction to the soul while holding the body to control weight. It stops the body from gaining unnecessary weight.
Steps to perform Kapha-Nashak Mudra
- Sit straight with your eyes closed.
- Hold your hands straight in the air as the back of their palms face you.
- Bring your index and ring finger to the palm of your hands while bringing your thumb to touch it as well.
- Raise both index and little finger in the air.
- Do this for 40 minutes daily to get better results.
7. Pushan Mudra
Just like Surya Mudra, Pushan Mudra is also perfect for the digestion of food. Digestion is a very big factor that contributes to your weight gain or loss.
If your digestion is poor the food will not digest and will become a part of your body. However, if your digestive system works great you will feel stronger and active.
Steps to perform Pushan Mudra
- This mudra is very easy especially if you have watched the Spiderman movie.
- Sit straight with legs crossed.
- Connect the tips of both ring and middle finger with your thumbs.
- Do it 15 minutes daily. Do it after you have eaten your meal as it will work more efficiently.
Some Tips along with Mudra
Mudra is a very efficient way of losing weight but if you follow the following tips it will breed perfect results for you.
Although, Mudra takes care of your digestion and weight loss but you must avoid eating a lot of unhealthy stuff. Eat homemade food as much as possible. Most of all avoid eating fast food.
Don’t lie down on your couch the whole day. You don’t have to perform any exhaustive exercise along with mudra but you should at least make the best use of your body.
Wake early in the morning go for a walk daily. If not daily then at least 4 days a week.
Avoid drinking a substance that contains a lot of sugar. For example cold drinks and Alcohol. Instead, drink as much water as possible.
Keep yourself hydrated. This will help you filter out your body. Eliminating all unhealthy stuff.
Focus on your breathing. Breathing is also a part of yoga. Take at least 10 deep breaths in a day. In the fresh air of the morning if possible.
Brief history of Yoga
The word Yoga means “Unite” in the Sanskrit language. The main idea of yoga is to unite an individual’s (Atma) consciousness with the consciousness of the universe (paratam).
Although the practice of Yoga has been here for thousands of years. But the history of yoga was revolutionized very recently by Swami Vivekananda, a yogi.
He came to the USA to promote yoga. The people of the USA found yoga very interesting and effective. They fall in love with the practice.
Today hundreds of millions of people all across the world practice yoga on daily basis. This includes Mudra as well.
The ancient practice of Mudra has provided a lot of people with better results. The interesting thing about Yoga is that it has been practiced by hundreds of generations across time.
There are a lot of feelings connected with it. Mudra, if applied correctly, will help you in losing weight. However, you must follow the instructions given along each Mudra practice.